March 23, 2010

Start of the Cycling Season in dotTO

With all the fine weather we have had in Toronto this month (today excluded) the cycling season has gotten off to an early start. I like to ride at least 4 or 5 times per week and my goal this year is to ride at least 300 km per week. This breaks down to three rides of 60km (typically after work) and a weekend ride of 120km with TBN (Toronto Bicycling Network).

I did three to four spin classes per week during the winter and last week I did three break-in rides and two spin classes, so the legs are slowly getting into shape. For this week, Wednesday and Thursday look like great days, so I'm hoping to step up the pace and ride at least 60km on each of those days.

I have signed up for the two rides in June; The Ride for Heart and Stroke (75km) and the 2-day Ride to Conquer Cancer (100 miles each day). If you would like to sponsor me you can go to my web pages for each event at these links:

Ride for Heart and Stroke - http://bit.ly/bRC2ku

Ride to Conquer Cancer - http://bit.ly/aemKtV

Last year I was living in Northeast Oakville, so I had great access to the country roads north of Dundas/Highway 5, heading out towards Milton. It is a great place to ride and on any given night you would see a lot of fellow riders on the roads. In late August I moved into the city and now reside in Leaside, so I'm now exploring the city for good rides (without getting killed). Last week I discovered the Don River trail. It has it's pros and cons. On the pro side there are no cars and you don't need to stop every block for a light or stop sign. On the down side, you can't ride very fast and the trail rattles the hell out of your bones. The best part of the ride is tackling the hill on Bayview from Pottery Road up to Moore St. I like to sprint that puppy, out of the saddle and keep track of the time it takes me each time I ride it. I'm a little competitive and it's fun to 'blow the doors off’ a fellow cyclist, especially when it's at the end of your two hour ride. I think my nightly ride will be to take the Don Trail down to the Lakeshore and then do the Lakefront Trail from Woodbine to Humber and back. Woodbine to Humber is about 20km, so if you do it there and back plus the Don trail loop, it will be about 60km. The only pain on the Lakeshore is the section along Queen’s Quay …hopefully future Mayor Rocco will remedy this situation.

I've also been exploring the nutrition side of cycling and I have learned a lot in the past year. I have downloaded a number of recipes to make my own energy bars, gels and electrolyte drinks. Many of the products are loaded with ingredients that I can't even say ...and that is not good. I will experiment with a few of these products and post them in the next few weeks.

Have a great day and if you're in the Toronto area, give me a shout if you would like to go for a ride some evening or on a Sunday morning.

All the best ...Greg

2 comments:

  1. RE: "make my own energy bars, gels and electrolyte drinks"

    you may want to look into coconut water as a healthy replacement for electrolyte drinks with too many strange unpronounceable ingredients. I just did a blog a few minutes ago on the very subject.

    See http://bit.ly/ctDwSL

    best regards, Nicolette

    ReplyDelete
  2. let's try that again: here's the link to the blog article

    http://healthygourmetgifts.wordpress.com/2010/03/23/top-celebrities-investing-in-coconut-water-heres-why/

    ReplyDelete